Saturday, January 5, 2008


THUNDERCATS ARE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


That level of excitement might only be about an ounce of the excitement I felt before, during and after this film. I set the bar high going in, I wanted this so badly to be everything I expected - but it wasn't - it was so much more.


I'm not sure where I can begin. Pehaps the screenplay? I've read and heard that a criticism of the film is that the dialogue, exclusively from Juno is almost too clever that it distorts the reality of the film, to which I would reply that perhaps people missed the brilliance. It's true, it is a form of hightened language, it does crackle, and crackle often - but this is Juno's defense mechanism. This is how she has survived. It's worked. Because it worked, it developed. I thought from what I knew about Ms. MacGuff, these words were painfully appropriate coming from her lips.


I don't know how they managed to make suc ha comedic gem about teen pregnancy without it coming our as pretentious, offensive or stupid. Instead it came out as honest, clever and smart. I thoght about why and it's because they didn't try and give it a treatment, it was given the "life happens" approach, and we latch onto that, cause that's the life WE are living in.


Ellen Page is frightening incredible in this performance. There is nothing else to say. Her performance was complete, it was definitive, it was dynamic, honest, complelling, beautiful. You name it. She was it.


Michael Cera may be a one trick pony with hin uncanny to deliver a line the way only Michael Cera can, but it's a good trick and has worked for him in all of his substantial roles to date. It will grow tired, but worked well in this film, in limited capacity.


Garner and Bateman shine as the would be adoptive parents of Juno unborn baby. Garner walks the tight rope between honesty and sterotype but never fell off on the wrong side. Bateman handles his delicate role with class. With a similar challenge to Garner, we need to love him, hate him but ultimately understand and sympathize with him as much as we do with Garner - and in less capable hands I think this role could have been stale and hurt the heart of the picture.


Simmons and Janney as Juno's parents were marvelous. However, where Janney held onto credibility with some over the top lines, Simmons doesn't do the job quite as well, he doesn't seem to be able to understate his lines the way the rest of the cast does, but then recovers with his moments in between.


What can I say? Director Rietman, who gave us the best film of 2005 with Thank You For Smoking, follows it up with the best film of 2007.


5 out of 5 (I'd give it six if I could)

No comments: